In January of 2016, YWAM’s global prayer day features a YWAM leader from the Middle East giving insight into what is happening in the Muslim world. He presents a hopeful picture he sensed God giving him, and which has been born out by recent research. He has seen God’s grace flowing into the Muslim world to a greater degree than most people realize.
Here is a short video from this leader, prepared specifically for YWAM’s prayer day on January 14, 2016. This monthly prayer focus is called The Invitation.
Research done by David Garrison, and published recently in his book A Wind in the House of Islam, supports what this YWAM leader has seen first-hand. Garrison’s research shows a dramatic increase in the number of movements of Muslims to Jesus in this century compared with previous centuries. He defines a movement of Muslims to Jesus as “at least 100 new church starts or 1,000 baptisms that occur over a two-decade period”:
- 7th – 18th centuries (the first 12 centuries of the Islam religion): no movements of Muslims to Jesus
- 19th century: 2 movements of Muslims to Jesus
- 20th century: 11 movements of Muslims to Jesus
- First 12 years of 21st century: 69 movements of Muslims to Jesus (which is 84% of the total number)
In his book, Garrison gives several possible reasons for this increase in Muslims choosing to follow Jesus, but one reason stands out above the rest. “Prayer has been the first and primary strategy for virtually every new initiative into the Muslim world. It is the great unseen force…” Garrison wrote.
With that in mind, YWAM leaders invite the whole YWAM family, including friends of YWAM and visitors to this website, to join them in prayer for the Muslim world.
Instead of giving specific prayer suggestions, they ask that you watch the video, then seek God for direction about how to pray.
Suggestions for How to Pray
In preparation for this time of prayer, enter into quiet time with God. Be silent while waiting on God and listen to what He is speaking to you regarding this video. Record and report any impressions you received from God. Pray accordingly, based on what you received from God.
Converse with God, asking questions such as:
- What is still hindering the flow of your grace?
- How could your grace bring even greater results?
- How would you have me or my community respond to this video?
- Lord, how do you want me/us to pray for Muslims?
- Lord, is there a Muslim that you want me to befriend?
- Is there a ministry involving Muslims for me or my community?
Share how God spoke to you:
- Share on facebook.com/youthwithamission, find the post for January 14, and add a comment about how you prayed.
- Go to Twitter, search for #praywithywam and tweet about your prayer time or post a picture.
- Share with others in person or through other channels.
- Pray. Intercede regularly for Muslims. It might be helpful to use Joy Dawson’s Principles for Effective Intercession.
- Obtain resources and suggestions for prayer: pray30days.org. The next 30 Days of Prayer for the Muslim World will be June 6 – July 5, 2016. Plan to participate with your church or community.
- Read the Red Sea Covenant to learn more about YWAM’s commitment to God on behalf of the Muslim world.
- Befriend a Muslim, get to know their family, invite them into your home. Challenge yourself to begin this in the next 30 days.
- Involve your church. Speak with your pastor(s) and others. Plan an event that is focused on getting to know Muslims.
For a transcript of the prayer video or for PDF files of the prayer information in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, or Indonesian, please click here.
How YWAM Prayed in Previous Months
- YWAM Iquitos, Peru joined The Invitation to intercede for refugees in the West. After conducting dramatized activities to make them more aware of the living reality for refugees they committed to pray for refugees on an ongoing basis.
- YWAM Newcastle, Australia and YWAM Athi River, Kenya shared that they joined The Invitation and prayed for the unreached and for workers in the Horn of Africa.
- YWAM Heidebeek, The Netherlands was led to pray from Psalm 24. The Lord impressed upon them that the people of the Horn of Africa “belong to the Lord” and that Ethiopia will be key to opening the nation of Yemen.
- YWAM Boise, USA reported that they also minister to Eritreans in their city and invited other YWAMers to join them (www.ywamboise.org).
- YWAM Phnom Penh, Cambodia focused on Revelation 3:7-8 (open doors). The Lord led them to pray for the workers in the Horn of Africa.
- YWAM Caracas and Puerto LaCruz, Venezuela thanked God for giving them time to pray for the team in Africa. They prayed Isaiah 41:9 and noted that God is revealing himself to Muslims and that for God there are no impossibilities.
- An individual from Canada prayed for provision for the teams in Africa.
February 11, 2016 – Praying for Local Concerns (Location and Community)
March 10, 2016 – Praying for Areas, and Where YWAM Is Not
April 14, 2016 – Global Topic
The second Thursday is just a suggestion. Feel free to pray close to that date at a time that works well for your schedule or the schedule of your community.
Don’t Miss The Invitation
Sign up for prayer updates. On ywam.org, find the “Stay Connected” box on the home page or the right-hand column, put in your email address and click “Sign Up.”
If you sense God giving you a word or a direction for YWAM’s prayer, please contact us.